PACKING LIST FOR SOUTH AFRICA
South Africa can be warm to hot during the months of March, April, September and October with temperatures ranging between 65f – 85f. The months of May through August are winter and the night temp’s can drop to below zero, warming up to the mid 60’s or 70’s by midday.
The following list is only a general guideline of what to bring on Safari. There is a daily laundry service except for the days of arrival/departure and when camps are changed. Pack light ensuring you have the basic comfortable clothing/equipment and keep in mind you’ll always need luggage space for African souvenirs you’ll buy along the way.
- 1 Pair of good walking boots (Always worn-in)
- 1 Pair of comfortable camp shoes
- 4 Pairs of good socks
- 4 Sets of underwear
- 3 Pairs of long hunting pants (Dark Khaki/Olive Green/Cammo)
- 2 Pairs of short hunting pants (Early hunts –Mar – Apr, Sept – Oct)
- 3 Hunting shirts (Dark Khaki/Olive Green/Cammo)
- 1 Hunting Jacket (Dark Khaki/Olive Green/Cammo)
- 1 Warm sweater or jumper
- Casual wear for the evenings
- 1 Pair of gloves
- 1 Raincoat/Waterproof jacket
- Cap or Hat
Extra Gear / NOT All Mandatory
- USB flash drive or SD card for copying your PH’s pictures.
- Camera/Binocular lens cleaning cloth
- Flashlight/Head Lamp
- Pocket/Hunting Knife
- Small Backpack for daily equipment while hunting (e.g. cameras, extra ammo)
- Rifle with Sufficient Ammunition UNLESS Renting
- International plug set – Conversion to South Africa 220 V
- Insect Repellant – Tick repellent preferably containing DEET.
- Extra prescription glasses/contact lenses if required
- First aid is on hand in camp and in all hunting vehicles, but it would be wise to bring your own requirements along
- Spare batteries/charger if required
- Rifle cleaning kit/Pull Trough set UNLESS Hiring.
- Prescription drugs if required.
- Baby/Wet wipes for the ladies on safari
- Rifle soft case
- Taxidermy tags if you have your own Taxidermist/Shipping Instructions
Final Check List before leaving home
- Passport (With valid pages and at least 6 months validity prior to expiration)
- Air Tickets
- Rifle Import
Permit Application and relevant documentation if required UNLESS Hiring.
After years of hunting in South Africa the list above is by no means all you may want to carry. However, the lighter you pack the easier it is to move in and out of airports.
Personally I carry (1) average size rolling suit case and (1) carry on backpack with my camera and toiletries and 1 change of clothes. I also carry a notebook with all my necessary documents.